Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fifty Shades of Fun

The excitement over the book, Fifty Shades of Grey hit our monthly dinner girls this month.  The girls requested I do a party centered around this theme, so conservative-little-me borrowed the book and started reading.  It was a lot of fun to put this party together, and the evening was a lot of fun for all of us.  It didn't have the extravagance of Christian Grey, but at least it had the inspiration!


Invite:  I created a little rhyme for the invitation wording and bought assorted shades of grey card stock to create my invitation.  I also bought sunglasses from the Dollar Tree to wrap around the invitation for some added fun.  I asked guests to wear shades of grey to the party and bring a "toy" for an exchange. 


Entry:  You can't have a Fifty Shades party without a contract can you?  I modeled the wording of my contract off the contract in the book referring to myself as "The Hostess" and my guests as "The Diners".  I tried to stick to the formal language of the contract and included sensual words for added fun.  I wrote it all on foam board and hung it from my entry door. Guests signed it before entering!



Decor: When I  think of Christian Grey, I think sophisticated as well as a bit naughty.  I wanted my decor to reflect this without being over-the-top sexual.   I set my table with a black tablecloth and tea lights (some elevated) running down the center. Along the center of the table I also had handcuffs (thanks to the law and legal teacher at my work), a copy of the novel, a whip (from my brother's Indiana Jones Halloween costume), and a grey tie (thanks hubby).


On each plate, I placed a boy's grey tie.  The boy ties fit better than an adult tie and it was great to have these in various shades of grey.  Special thanks to Clint's Tuxedos in Buena Park who let me borrow these ties for the party!! If you are looking for a great tuxedo for an upcoming event, Clint is your man!  Great selection, great prices, and a super nice guy!

As a place card, I got paint sample cards from Home Depot each with three shades of grey.  I used my Cricut to cut out the name of each guest and glued it to the bottom.  The grey napkins were tied with zip ties for another Christian Grey reference!


I used my Cricut again to cut out handcuffs to use as wine charms.  I cut them out in various shades of grey.


On the dessert table I created two candy jars with red candy (inspired by the Red Room of Pain).  I labeled the red cinnamon candies "Hard Limits" and the red licorice straws "Soft Limits" to again play up the contract wording.


I also designed wine labels to go around the wine bottles.  The first bottle we opened for the evening was labeled "Sexy" and each bottle following got a little darker word!  If you would like the template for these labels, comment below and I will send it.  It isn't anything fancy, but it added some humor to the party.


Activity:  Besides the gift exchange, I also had guest's share a fun story.  I called them Sexual Deviance cards just for fun, but the story did not have to be sexual.  We had fun guessing the writer later in the party!


Menu:  I created my menu around some of the language used in the book. I displayed the names of each menu item as if it was an email from Anastasia to Christian or vice versa following the format in the book. Both of these characters have Subject lines that are clever as well, so I tried to do that.  Again, if you would like copies of these, I can email you the template.


I started with SUBmissive Sandwiches.  These were easy to make Philly Cheese steak sandwiches.  The meat and buns were from Trader Joes.  The rest of the sandwich was Provolone cheese slices and sliced red and green peppers.


Bow TIED-UP Pasta Salad was next.  You can put anything in pasta salad, but I chose to include tomatoes, green and orange peppers, black olives, and kidney beans.  I used 1 1/2 boxes of 16 ounce bow pie pasta. Here is the recipe for the Italian Dressing I made to use:

1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano leaves, crushed
freshly ground black pepper

Process all ingredients in a food processor or blender until thoroughly combined.  Then add this to the pasta salad mixture an allow it to marinate.


I also served a fruit salad I called Forbidden Fruit.  These three entrees really filled us up so I was glad I did not try to serve more.  Plus two of them can be made ahead of time, so that was nice in terms of the hostess part.




For dessert, I served two cupcakes.  The first was Vanilla Cupcakes with "Whipped" Cream Icing and Strawberries in honor of Anastasia and the constant reference to "vanilla" in the book.  I found the cute grey cupcake wrappers at Michaels.



In honor of Christian Grey and the red velvet bedding in the Red Room of Pain, I served red velvet cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting.  I also added a chocolate handcuff to the top.  To make the handcuffs I melted chocolate chips, put the melted chocolate in a zip lock with the corner cut, and then pipe/draw the handcuffs onto wax paper.  I put the paper in the refrigerator to harden.  Then just peeled off and placed on the cupcake before serving.


Red Velvet Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1 (1ounce) bottle McCormick Red Food Color
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting
1 (8ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (16 ounce) box confectioners' sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.  Set aside.  Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time.  Mix in sour cream, milk, food coloring, and vanilla.  Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until just blended.  Do not overbeat.  Spoon batter into 30 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean.  Cool in pans on wire rack 5 minutes.  Remove from pans; cool completely.  Frost with icing.

To make the icing: Beat cream cheese, softened butter, sour cream and vanilla extract in large bowl until light and fluffy.  Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.  Pipe onto cupcakes.


Favor:  I made cake pop Ben Wa balls for my favor since they are a fairly significant part of the book. I used the same vanilla cupcake batter I used for the cupcakes to make cake balls.  I then melted white chocolate to dip them in and to hold the black licorice in place.  After this set, I used Wilton's Silver Spray to give them the metallic look.  I placed these in a favor bag with a tag playing up the "inner goddess" reference from the book.  Again, if you want to host this party and want this template, just email me/comment below!

We had so much fun at this party just laughing and chatting about the book. It was definitely a fun party to host and the girls had a great time!

Thanks again for checking out my blog...

Laters Baby!

110 comments:

Unknown said...

Carole- You outdid yourself here. This was so creative and so incredible. I am so in awe! Very, very fun and adventurous. I bet the girls had a great time!

Lauren said...

SOOOO ADORBS!!! I love the Hard and Soft Candy Limits, and the Ben Wa Ball favors and the shades of grey paint sample cards AND I especially liked your menu--my favorite menu so far. Totally inspired to do the same for my bunch of girls!

Anonymous said...

Love it! So clever and spot on!

A.J. said...

Bad Ass. Every detail is amazing.

AK Momma said...

What a great party! I would love it if you would please email me the templates. akjml@hotmail.com
Thank you!

Rhonda said...

Once again you have outdone yourself. Please email me the templates at RES1N8ZI@FRONTIER.COM. Thanks!

Katy said...

Amazing! So creative!

Mari said...

WOW! I just love your ideas, and this one is just outstanding!!! I would love to get the templates to try something like this.
My email adress is: englemamma@gmail.com
Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm from Brasil and love your blog.
Please sharing with me: liliacsmaia@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Soniah said...

you are literally the awesomest person everrr!! im obsessed with this blog already

Unknown said...

this is amazing. can you please email me the templates too? karasuzy79@gmail.com thanks!

Kim said...

Can you email me the templates as well?? I love your ideas, you are super creative and I can't wait to try some of your ideas! Thanks!!
my email is: sondgero@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Could you kindly email me the templates? Very excited about my upcoming party!

My email is: laura.bell@psion.com

Many thanks!!

BritneyN_0518 said...

OMG this is the cutest party ever...you are so creative with this stuff!!! I may seriously need to steal this idea from you. WOW
http://britspolkadotlife.blogspot.com

Trisha said...

Love this!! Could you email me the templates as well. Definitely going to do this party in December!!

Trishajjenkins7@gmail.com

HollyWood said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HollyWood said...

FANTASTIC job!! I am s Slumber Parties Consultant and going to point girls your way ;-)
Could I get your templates and your wordings as well.
You made ME want to do MY OWN 50 party!
HollyWood

HollyWood said...

Sorry you need an email duh!!!
holly.wood@slumberparties.com

Anonymous said...

I would like to get a template. You also made want to celebrate my birthday with this theme. Love this!!!
xxxtangerineexxx@hotmail.com
Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

I am hosting our book club next Friday. You ideas are amazing! Could you please send me the templates. lchapman@rogers.com
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi please send me the print out for the labels.. Thanks

Anonymous said...

oops email address mioshia.mccray@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Loved your ideas. Could you please email me the templates. My email address is melanie_field@bigpond.com thanks so much

Anonymous said...

I stumbled across you on Pinterest...have been checking out all your party themes for the last couple hours...lol
Can you please send me the templates for this theme!? Amazing!
fun_lovin_78@hotmail.com

Thanks :)

Joy said...

Love this!!! Can you send the template to me as well joybusch2@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I loved your ideas, Im the planner in our group and you have planted some seeds for our party. Please send me your templates as well. whyrebel@comcast.net Thanks.
Laters,

Anonymous said...

Awesome job....we are about to do something like this. Can you please email me the template to kbenton@windstream.net Thanks Laters

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! I am hosting a 50 shades themed bachelorette party and would love some of your tmeplates. lbgerace@comcast.net

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I think this is great I would love to try this also please email me with everything Ms.sexyq75@Gmail.com
thanks a million

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I really thought you NAILED this one! Pls email me the templates. Thanks so much! pazquina@yahoo.com

hippo said...

I love everything. I'm thinking about using this theme for a bachelorette party. If you could please e-mail me the templates I'd be grateful!!
hippophan@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I'm also doing a 50 shades themed bachelorette party. Love your ideas, please send me the templates. Lizzy.rivas@live.com

Anonymous said...

Amazing details on this theme! I can't wait to try it! Please send me the templates and info. jrmarcia@gmail.com
Thanks and again! WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved your ideas. Please send me the template for the wine bottles.
mcatledge@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Unknown said...

hi there,

is it possible for you to email me invitation templates?
i would really appreciate it

thanks
gabby
gabs.caixeiro@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I Would love to have all your templates. I am so excited about having a Fifty Shades of Grey Party. Your party ideas are amazing. I would greatly appreciated it. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle

mtagle2009@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there - I am doing my Bday party - can I get your templates? thank you so much!!
Cari
mushone@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea's!!!! I am hosting my best friends bridal shower and we are doing a Fifty Shades theme, I would be be most grateful if you could please forward the templates onto me at: chanelle.ferreira@yahoo.com. Thanks a stack :)

Unknown said...

Great ideas and perfect for what I have in mind for my 30th birthday coming up.. Please send me the templates aswell. Thanks you so much! attwellcitrus@srvalley.co.za

Anonymous said...

You did an outstanding job with this party, very creative! I was thinking of having a similar themed party and would be so appreciative if you could send me the templates!! angelact_124@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Awesome party! You have done an amazing job. I would love the templates. kelly-anneswan@hotmail.com Thanks in advance from Oz

Anonymous said...

Hello! I am doing a bachelorette party for a friend and would LOVE your templates! You did a fabulous job! Thanks so much!! littleonesteacher@yahoo.com

Alicia said...

As I type this I am in completely in awe of how your mind works, you are so creative.

I can't wait to show this to my friends.

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is all so great! I am having a Shades of Grey Bachelorette party next month and those wine labels would be awesome to have! Can you please send them to me! christinadeleo@ymail.com
Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

This is awesome... Please email me the templates. We are planning a bridal shower and would love to use some of your ideas. taranique07@aol.com
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Please forward me the templates. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Please send to cthiede@tds.net

Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

OMG please send me the template my friend is getting married this year her last name is Gray so we were going to play on words and do 50 shades of "Gray" so happy I googled this.
delia408@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

This is too perfect for my sister's 50th birthday party! Could you email me the template? mump5@msn.com

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas!

Anonymous said...

I really love all that you did!! Making a 50 Shades party and would love the templates. Thank You so much for the ideas!!
Cateyes57@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Haha....I've done the EXACT same thing! Loving all these ideas!

Unknown said...

I love these ideas! They are so cute! Please, please send me the templates, I would be so grateful!
catherineleighburke@gmail.com
Totally wonderful!

Anonymous said...

please can you email me the templetes want to use them for my sisters bachelorette party> its eoberholzer@ymail.com

Anonymous said...

great ideas! Would u please be able to forward along your templates...they r great. tmburke@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi! I just found your blog and I am having a fify shades of grey bachelorette party for 2 of my fiends getting married this summer! I love all your ideas and will be using some of them could you please email me the templates my email is > amy_cash_2005@yahoo.com < thanks so much

Anonymous said...

Hi I was wondering if you could send me your templates jacklyn.ulmer@comcast.net thank you

Anonymous said...

Hi,I love your creativity . Truly amazing!!!please send me the templates. Thanks
sharonarastegar@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! The effort you put into this is amazing! I would love some of the templates please :) salaskas@hotmail.com

Thank you so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

this is amazing! i would love the templates if possible so i can start preparing for a bachelorette party. my email is aguarnera85@yahoo.com. thank you!

Anonymous said...

wow loved the ideas. would love the templates to this. Birthday is coming up soon and the theme is 50 shades of grey. My email is rayshonda_singh@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

could you please send me your templates for your " FIFTY SHADES OF FUN " party.. they are so amazing.. the invitation's, wine labels, sexual deviance cards, candy label's, and the favor label's.. it would be nice to have all your pintable's they are so awesome. I have a woman's card party every month and the pintable's would be wonderful because I run out off ideas.. thank- you ever so much..:) my e-mail is redsunset103@aol.com Later's

Anonymous said...

Amazing party!! Could you please email me your templates? I'm hosting a bachelorette party and I think these would make a great addition! My email is kmichael05@hotmail.com thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi great idea for my sisters bridal shower please mail me all the templates ameenashaikh1@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Loved your ideas. Could you please email me the templates. My email address is bernietimothy@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi there...your blog is amazing!! Like everyone else requesting... can I please jump in the band wagon and send me your templates to sueannmolina@yahoo.com. thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I also am hosting a party like this and would love the templates! Please email me at qtamr@mac.com. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

WOW....I am planning a stagette for this weekend and the bride came up with a 50 shades of grey theme today :) Lucky me!!! Seeing that you would share your templates seems too good to be true!!! If you don't mind sharing your hard work and creativity I would very much appreciate it. Your ideas are by far the best on the internet.... :) e-mail is millicenthicks@hotmail.com . Again, VERY much appreciate any help!

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm planning a lingerie shower for my friend and this would be perfect cause she loves the books! If you would email me the templates that would be awesome!!! rbox@crimson.ua.edu

Thanks so much! This all looks perfect :)

Anonymous said...

Hi - Wow this is great and you are so creative, please share the email templates with me also. You've done an awesome job - thanks for sharing. My email address is cmclarty4345@sbcglobal.net

Thanks again.:-)

Anonymous said...

Hi! ‎​i'm so impressed! Very creative! Could you please email the templates-ara.labiran@gmail.com. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

templates would be great please - Natasha@workmail.co.za ! thank you

Anonymous said...

all sounds fabulous!!! would love to have the templates.. hope my party is as great as yours!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am doing my sister's bridal shower and would love all of your templates. This is the best 50 shades theme I have seen on pintrest.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oops I apologize I forgot to include my email address. azgilberts@q.com

Thanks again!

Chandel said...

Can you please email me the templates??? I absolutely love every detail and this would be perfect for the bachelorette party I am planning! Thank you!

chandel.dreyer@gmail.com

LOL Elo Boost said...

While free online games usually are gaining popularity in this way of life.
Cheap LOL Elo Boost

buy blade and soul gold

Anonymous said...

WOW what party that must have been. Excellent. Can yu please email me the templates to swileman@herom.co.za so i can use for party i am planning.
thanks

Unknown said...

My dad is going to turn 50 next month I'd like some ideas for invitation as well as some nice 50th birthday invitation wording. Thanks for sharing ideas!

Cheers xxxx
Alice

Anonymous said...

hi I would love the templates. my email address is azgilberts@q.com

or you can send them to azgilberts@qmail.com

Thanks,
Danielle

Danielle said...

Did you ever get the templates? I love this idea and she is probably swamped with requests. Can you email me the templates at azgilberts@q.com

Thanks,
Danielle

Anonymous said...

Hello,

This looks like you all had a great time. You did an excellent job. Can you please send me these templates at tharris729@gmail.com I am hosting a anniversary dinner for myself this weekend and I plan to use this theme...

Thanks again! KUDOs very well done.

Anonymous said...

I think you have done a wonderful job with all the elements you put in this party. I too would love to have these templates so that I can create an awesome party experience for my hostesses. I have Romance business I am interested in adding some spice to their parties they book with me. Thank you in advance and if anyone would like to check out my company follow the following link. www.mypurepleasure.com/1150 or www.marcialively.com

you may email me at the following address Marcia.lively@comcast.net

Unknown said...

I loved the book Fifty Shades Of Grey. I am so glad i enjoyed Christian and Ana's story. I like Christian Grey

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Wow you are so creative.Your ideas are brilliant. Planning a bridal shower I most definitely will use your ideas. Please email me the templates at simigovender@gmail.com

Kind Regards
simone

heta said...

This is so clever. I loved it! i would love to have a copy of the templates. My email address is Hrpatel001@gmail.com. Thanks for the great ideas!

Anonymous said...

Wow, would love the wine labels. Great party!Thanks

shawija@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, would love the wine labels. Great party btw.

shawija@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Fantastic ideas. Im having a girlie party next Saturday Please send me your templates for the 50 shades of grey party. My e -mail is sharonhunter@excite.com
I love your blog Thanks
Kind regards
Sharon xx

Anonymous said...

What what??!!??!!!! amazing! I would love a copy of the templates! thank you!!

Unknown said...

Fabulous.so creative. Could you please send me the templates,thinking of doing this for my 40th birthday. My email is michele@hatfieldvw.co.za

Anonymous said...

Wow great job, i am having my book discussion Oct. 4 can u please send me your templates to zenobia.puckett@simsmm.com please.
Thank You!

Unknown said...

You did a wonderful job! I guess I'm a little late, but if you still get this I would love if you would send me the templates for everything! Thank you in advance! andreajyon@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I would LOVE any of the stuff you used for this that you can share, like the wine bottle labels....this would be so cute for my upcoming bachelorette party

Anonymous said...

Awesome party! You have done an amazing job. I would love to use your templates for my bday party.
email:sasha_lvovich@hotmail.com.

thank you

Anonymous said...

So fun. I am throwing my friend a 40th birthday party and would love to use your templates. Thank you. kerkeslagerc@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I am having a 50 shdaes of grey bacherolotte party and would love to have your templates. My email address is bethany.advisor@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I would love to have your templates for a party I am having soon! Such an awesome idea!

Dubz1 said...

Great ideas. I'm having a "theme" party for my wife and would love the templates.
STXF15@gmail.com

THANK YOU.

Anonymous said...

I love your ideas! Could you please send me your templates? natwashington@verizon.net
Can't wait for my upcoming party!

Anonymous said...

This is one of the best ideas I've seen so far. I'm planning Bridal Lingerie party for my sister. Can you please share the templates with me. My email is monique.malone@me.com. Thank you! Love it!!!

Tara Iñiguez (Sollman) said...

I love love love your party!! Can you please share your templates with me?

Anonymous said...

Wow awesome idea...pls email me the templates, would love to have my birthday with this theme...bibsfm143@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

You did an AWESOME job! I would also like the templates sent to me; 50shadesplanner@gmail.com. THX!

Unknown said...

This is fabulous!! My girlfriends and I are in love with this series! Could youbsend me the templates so that I may begin planning a party of my own? kmcargill1218@gmail.com. Thanks!

party girl said...

Hi Carole I love the 50 shade every year a do a girls night at my home and it always is something that they talk about all year, and they look forward to it, would love to do this next can you please e-mail me the templates would appreciate it thank you
mmarchisello@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Love the Ben Wa party favors can you email me the template please Nov27Rain@hotmail.com

Deniese said...

Oh me oh my,!! Simply divine and I would love to attempt to recreate your party here in the UK, I'd be honoured if you could send the templates for your 50 shades party. Thank you in advance.
Fabbees@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

So amazing! Came across your blog via Pinterest. I am planning a 50 shades party in January just before the movie comes out. I would love to use the printable you created! Can you pass them along to me please? Thanks so much your so creative I love it! ((Hugs))~Cristle in NM

Cristlehelvie@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Very nice! Your attention to detail was amazing.