Sunday, December 22, 2013

DIY Christmas Stocking Holders

For those of you who don't follow my blog and/or know me, we have a new addition to our family.  Our daughter, Jenna, was born November 13th.  When December 1st rolled around, we took out our holiday decor, and I began shopping for a stocking and another stocking holder. I had a really hard time finding a stocking holder. I have always wanted them all to match and since we've bought each one individually at different times over the years, they definitely do not.  The only sets of 5 I found were simple silver ones that spelled out the five letters in "Peace."  Nothing against "peace" and all, but this is not what I wanted.  I decided to make them myself....




These were really simple to make, and I love the way they turned out.  The supplies I used were:
  • One piece of 1x6x8 wood
  • knobs (found at Lowes)
  • Screws
  • Green, Red, and White Spray paint (get the spray paint that includes primer)
  • Blue Painter's Tape - for the stripes
  • Plastic Wallet frames - I bought these at Michaels and just pulled off the magnet on the back
  • Super glue
First, I cut the wood pieces.  The bottom piece I cut to be 5 x 2 3/4 inches.  The top piece is 5x5. I screwed the knob into the bottom piece and spray painted it with a few coats.  Then I spray painted the top piece white.  Once this dried, I taped off the stripes and spray painted the red. You could also use acrylic paint for this part.  The spray paint was faster, but it is harder to touch up. When I did the touch ups after pulling off the paint, I did use acrylic paint for the white.  I could not find the correct shade of red though.


Once both pieces were dry, I used 3 screws to drill into the bottom to attach the two pieces.  Lastly, I super glued the plastic frame to the front and placed a photo inside. I am happy with how they turned out, and this was a much cheaper route than purchasing 5 new stocking holders.

We are ready for Santa!!