Tuesday, October 4, 2011

MayPOLE Day

In the category of Favorite Dessert, the cake from our May-Pole Day Dinner in 2010 was the winner.  As you will see, this is not necessarily because of the taste (although it was yummy), but because of the comedy.  This is a dinner theme that took some bravery on my part, but turned out a huge hit.  I started out with a simple pastel invite which read:
May Day is typically May 1st...
a day to celebrate the arrival of
Spring and weave the beautiful ribbons
around the Maypole.
Let's celebrate this day with an
evening of ribbons and dancing for a...

"May Day Dinner"


Arrive wearing you favorite dancing shoes, a colorful ribbon in your hair, and an appetite for merriment.

Little did guest's expect, but they arrived in their pastel shirts and hair bows to see this poster on the front of my door...
Decor:  Oh yes, conservative little me hosted a stripper themed party!  After entering, guests were immediately giggling at the centerpiece....my metal shower rod with a blow up stripper doll on it!!  There were also dollar bills spread out on the table to add a little more fun, and I wore some black lingerie with tall boots to play up the theme even more!
Notice the guests in their pastel shirts & ribbons!  So funny!
Oh, and let's not forget the placecards.  I used bright red straws I "borrowed" from Jack in the Box and found images of strippers online.  I cut out the strippers and glued them to the straw replacing the image's face with the face of a guest...so funny!!

Food: As is typical with my parties, I tried to find menu items I could link to theme.  Here is what I came up with...
  • Herbed "Strip" Steak with Balsamic Sauce
  • Silver "Dollar" Potatoes
  • Asparagus "Poles"
  • "Stripper" Cake
As I mentioned at the start of this post, the cake is what won for Favorite Dessert!  It is a simple vanilla cake baked in a 9 x 13 pan and then cut with a knife in the shape of a body.  You need two cupcakes as well.  The entire thing is frosted with peach frosting and then I piped on the stars in red and the blue stars for the bikini.  The belly button I made just by sticking the bottom end of a wooden spoon slightly into the cake.  The cake was a huge hit.

This is one of the parties that is still talked about by my friends because it was so unexpected.  If you are brave enough, it really is a fun Ladies Only party.  There are even pole dancing fitness classes offered in many cities that would be a fun (and funny) fieldtrip!



1 comment:

km said...

This is hysterical beyond words!